COVID-19 Prevention in Malawi
CPAR is working to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in Malawi, Tanzania and in Ethiopia
Our work in Malawi
As COVID-19 continues its global path, all of us at CPAR are very aware of how countries with weak health systems are at a greater risk of being completely overwhelmed when the disease hits.
We are working hard in Malawi, Tanzania
and in Ethiopia
to try to stop this from happening.
Our field officers are working alongside the District Rapid Response Team to implement prevention measures and sensitize communities to the symptoms and dangers of COVID-19. CPAR’s focus is on villages in the Fukamapiri, Malengamzoma, and Malada regions. We are sharing information about proper handwashing, social distancing, and symptoms by distributing leaflets and putting up posters with this information.
Much of our work is being done through mobile van “road shows,” to help keep our field officers safe.
- We have formed partnerships with local governments, other NGOs who have similar projects in the Nkhata Bay area, and local community leaders.
- We are collaborating with community leaders to mobilize communities and share COVID-19 information, including the importance of:
- Handwashing multiple times a day as well as when coming into contact with another person or animal and when entering or exiting a building.
- Practicing social distancing to the extent possible.
- Recognizing symptoms and knowing when to seek help responsibly so as not to overwhelm local hospitals or health posts.