Are you an emergency doctor, or a family doctor with ER experience, with an interest in serving a community in Ethiopia? Canadian Physicians for Aid and Relief (CPAR) is seeking qualified emergency doctors to take part in a four-week volunteer placement. We are currently recruiting doctors for placements for the month of February.
This program is a partnership between CPAR and Fitche Hospital in Ethiopia. The project’s goal is to strengthen the capacity of the hospital to deliver effective medical services, through the development of a knowledge sharing partnership between Canadian physicians and medical staff at Fitche Hospital. You will work with local physicians to improve processes and share clinical best practices based on the local context. This will primarily be focused in the emergency department but will include other departments as necessary and relevant. There may also be opportunities to teach residents, medical students, nurses and other health care providers.
Duration of placement: One month
Positions available: Multiple
Qualifications and Experience:
- Work alongside Ethiopian colleagues in the Emergency Department (or other clinical settings) to assess and treat patients.
- Share knowledge particularly with respect to clinical triage, assessment, treatment and disposition.
- Share learning with colleagues. This may be in the form of instructional modules, formal teaching sessions or more informal teaching.
- Licensed physician in Canada.
- Emergency medicine emphasis which may include general practitioners with ER experience
- Experience in low resource settings (at home or abroad) is an asset
- Flexibility, and an ability to adapt to variable working conditions and resource levels
- Interest in teaching and learning
- ATLS, ACLS, NRP, PALS or similar beneficial but not mandatory
- Previous overseas experience desirable
CPAR will cover travel costs, in-country accommodation and a daily per diem. Otherwise this is an unpaid assignment that offers a unique and meaningful experience to the right candidates.
- Participating physicians will receive support from CPAR’s excellent Ethiopian country team, and from the medical staff and administration of Fiche Hospital.
- CPAR will assist with all required licensing requirements and will provide pre-departure briefing.
Pre-Departure Costs to be paid by Participants.
A visa for Ethiopia to be obtained and paid for by participants. CPAR will provide a letter of invitation as required by the Ethiopian Consulate.
- A valid passport (with an expiry date at least 6 months beyond the date of their departure from Ethiopia).
- Immunisations, medicines, and travel health insurance.
- Costs for notarization and endorsement of official documents required for Ethiopian licence
Interested candidates are asked to send a letter of interest and an updated resume to: email@example.com. Recruitment for these positions is ongoing throughout the year.